Hep B is the number one health threat in the Asian community.
The Chinese Health Initiative addresses the unique health disparities in the expanding Chinese population in our area, and strives to accommodate cultural preferences in education, screening and the delivery of health care. One of the health disparities CHI is focused on is Hepatitis B.
You may not realize it, but Hepatitis B affects a surprising number of people in the Chinese community, and many are completely unaware they are infected.
- 1 in 12 Asian Pacific Islanders is infected with chronic Hep B, compared to fewer than 1 in 1000 in the Caucasian population
- 2/3 of all infected patients do not know they have the disease
- Without monitoring by a physician, people with Hep B may develop serious health complications, including liver cancer, liver cirrhosis or liver failure
Protect yourself by getting screened today!
It is important to get screened as soon as possible. If you test positive, you may need treatment. If you test negative, you can consider getting vaccinated against the disease.
El Camino Hospital provides onsite FREE screening for Hep B for uninsured and under-served community members.
Protect yourself from liver cancer and other possible complications of Hep B. Sign up for a screening and find out your Hep B Status.
Registration is required. Must be a resident of El Camino Hospital's service area (service area cities include: Alviso, Campbell, Cupertino, Los Altos, Los Gatos, Milpitas, Mountain View, Palo Alto, San Jose, Santa Clara, Saratoga and Sunnyvale). Qualification is required. Call 650-988-3234 or download a flyer for more information.
Vaccination is the best prevention for Hep B
If you are uninsured, you can get vaccinated at a reduced rate at El Camino Hospital's RotaCare Clinic.
- $30 per shot (cash or check only) for all uninsured individuals
- No appointment needed
- Children 0-18 are FREE when accompanied by an adult who can provide consent for the vaccination
Call 650-988-8202 for more information or download a flyer.
El Camino Hospital has taken a leadership role in the Hep B Free: Santa Clara County campaign. The campaign is a county-wide initiative dedicated to promoting awareness of Hepatitis B and liver cancer. Our involvement includes planning, funding and creation of materials to generate awareness of this critical health issue.