Chinese Health Initiative
Chinese Health Initiative
Our Chinese Heath Initiative (CHI) enhances the health and well-being of our Chinese community members. Through partnership with the hospital and other organizations, we offer specialty programs that promote awareness and prevention of health conditions that commonly effect the Chinese population.
We’re the first hospital in the region with a program designed specifically to support the Chinese community. Our board of advisors is comprised of community and business leaders and doctors who guide us in meeting the distinct needs of Chinese people. CHI is a bridge between the hospital clinical team and the community. We strive to connect you with the care, information and resources you need to support your health and well-being.
- Health education and screenings for issues like hepatitis B, hypertension and osteoporosis.
- Access to health information, advice from doctors and other resources.
- Programs to improve your health, such as wellness talks, nutrition consultations and Dayan Qigong classes.
Chinese Health Initiative Health Fair
One of our signature events is our annual Chinese Health Initiative Health Fair — the only health fair specifically designed to meet the health needs of the Chinese community. It’s run by more than 50 volunteers in addition to nurses, clinical staff and Chinese-speaking doctors. Each year, we serve more than 400 community members during our health fair.
- Screenings for hepatitis B, hypertension and osteoporosis.
- Educational workshops in Chinese.
- Consultations with doctors and dietitians.
- Health information and resources.
- Free Qigong demo class.
If you’d like us to notify you when the health fair approaching, please email us or call us at 650-988-3234.
Chinese-Speaking Physician Referral Network
CHI launched the Chinese-Speaking Physician Referral Network to help Chinese community members access doctors who speak their language and deliver culturally sensitive care. There are nearly 100 physicians, including both primary care doctors and specialists, in the network. Any doctor who is associated with El Camino Hospital and speaks at least one Chinese dialect is invited to join.
Advocates for Culturally Sensitive Care
Another role of CHI is to support El Camino Hospital in promoting culturally sensitive care. We serve as a resource to provide clinical staff with insight to the Chinese cultural perspective. Learn about our Patient Ambassador Program and other services designed to help give you a more comfortable and culturally appropriate patient experience.
Chinese Health Initiative Partners
The following organizations are valued CHI partners:
- American Cancer Society California Chinese Unit
- Asian American Community Involvement
- Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation
- Chinese American Coalition for Compassionate Care
- Chinese AmericanSemiconductor Professional Association
- Heart of Hope Asian American Hospice Care
- New Hope Chinese Cancer Foundation
- River of Life Church Foundation
- The Alzheimer’s Association
Volunteer: Help Make a Difference
CHI is able to serve the community because of the generosity of our volunteers. If you’re interested in becoming a CHI volunteer please fill out the online form or call us at 650-988-3234. Members of the community as well as clinical staff are welcome to join.
To speak to our Chinese-speaking staff or sign up for email updates on lectures and free screenings, call 650-988-3234 or email us at CHI@elcaminohospital.org.
Talk to Someone
Inquire about services or get a physician referral. Our call-back and chat services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Health Resource Guide for Chinese Seniors in Santa Clara County
Click here to download the PDF guide.
Find a Chinese-Speaking Physician
Our network of primary care physicians and specialists are committed to treating, educating and working with the Chinese community. Find a Chinese-speaking physician.