Questions about your bill or how to pay? We provide answers to the most frequently asked questions about El Camino Hospital’s billing process.
How does my insurance company receive the claims for healthcare services?
For your convenience, we bill medical claims to your health insurance provider. To ensure proper and prompt processing of your claim, make sure you verify your insurance information when you register. We bill your insurance company approximately 10 days after your discharge from the hospital.
If you’ve provided us with secondary insurance information, we’ll submit a bill to the secondary insurer for any balance owed after your primary insurance has paid. We don’t expect payment from you until your primary and secondary insurers have processed your charges, except when there’s a deductible or copayment.
When do I make the copayment or deductible payment?
Copayments, which are fixed dollar amounts determined by your insurance company, are due at the time of service. If you’re unsure of your copay responsibility, please contact your insurance provider for coverage and copayment details.
Before you’re admitted to El Camino Hospital, our financial counselors will obtain your deductible information when they check your eligibility.
Are all the services associated with my surgery or procedure included on one bill?
At El Camino Hospital, we bill for hospital services only; professional services are billed separately. You’ll receive separate bills for services from doctors involved in your care, anesthesiology services, as well as professional interpretations done by radiologists and pathologists.
Some examples include:
- If you have outpatient surgery, you’ll receive a billing statement from El Camino Hospital for the facility charges and separate billing statements from the anesthesiologist and the doctors performing your surgery.
- If you participate in one of our mental health programs, you’ll receive a separate bill for psychiatrist fees — these are separate from the hospital program fees.
How do I make a payment?
You can pay your bill:
- By mail – Detach the bottom portion of your billing statement and include a check, money order or your credit card (American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa) information in the envelope provided.
- By phone – Call 650-940-7220 or 800-665-6540 to pay by credit or debit card. Representatives are available 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Online – Use our secure, quick and easy online payment system to pay your hospital bill.
What forms of payment are accepted?
We accept credit cards — American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa — debit cards, personal checks and money orders.
Does El Camino Hospital offer a discount if I self-pay for services?
El Camino Hospital offers a 75 percent discount on eligible services to patients who pay out of pocket for medical services — whether it’s because you don’t have insurance, your insurance doesn’t cover the services, or you’d prefer not to bill through your insurance provider.
If I’m unable to make the full payment, can I set up a payment plan?
Yes. Our customer service staff can set up a payment plan based on our established policies. Call 650-940-7220 for more information.
Is financial assistance available?
We offer financial assistance to people who are uninsured or underinsured, or who are experiencing financial hardship. A financial counselor can help determine eligibility for government and community programs that may help cover medical expenses.
Is there someone I can contact with my billing questions?
You can talk to one of our customer service representatives at 650-940-7220 or 800-665-6540 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. You can also visit us in person between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Or, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org — but please don’t send personal information such as account information or credit card numbers. Please allow a minimum of two business days to respond to your email requests.
We’re Here to Help
Have questions about your bill or payment options? Our representatives are available 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday:
- Call 650-940-7220
- Email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also visit us in person during between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday:
El Camino Hospital Patient Accounting
Oak Pavilion, 2505 Hospital Drive, 2nd Floor
Mountain View, CA 94040