El Camino Hospital Year by Year
El Camino Hospital Year by Year
For in-depth detail, we share these year-by-year milestones:
- U.S. News & World Report recognizes El Camino Hospital as one of the best hospitals in the nation for gynecology. It also ranks us as one of the 2014-15 best hospitals in the San Jose, area for geriatrics, neurology and neurosurgery.
- El Camino Hospital adopts the Epic platform for electronic medical records and begins its implementation.
- We make the lifesaving PulsePoint mobile app available throughout Santa Clara County. The app uses location-based technology that enables CPR-trained citizens to find and help someone in sudden cardiac arrest. It also tells them the location of the nearest automated external defibrillator (AED).
- El Camino Hospital and Palo Alto Medical Foundation collaborate with the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) Fellowship Program to offer interventional pulmonology fellowships for pulmonary fellows — the first program of its kind on the West Coast.
- Our robotics team completes its 1,000th case.
- Doctors at El Camino Hospital are among the first in the U.S. to offer patients suffering from mitral regurgitation the MitraClip®, a new FDA-approved breakthrough in minimally invasive treatment options.
- Top Masters in Healthcare Administration name El Camino Hospital "Most Technologically Advanced Hospital."
- El Camino Hospital Cancer Center earns National Accreditation with Commendation from the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons.
- El Camino Hospital Los Gatos receives The Joint Commission’s Disease-Specific Certification for Primary Stroke Center.
- El Camino Hospital re-certifies as a nationally accredited Chest Pain Center.
- The Rehabilitation Center at El Camino Hospital Los Gatos receives a full three-year accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) for its Stroke Specialty Program and Inpatient Rehabilitation Program.
- We earn designation as a Blue Distinction Center® for Knee and Hip Replacement and Spine Surgery.
- The American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation awards our Cardiac & Pulmonary Wellness Center with national re-certification.
- El Camino Hospital Los Gatos celebrates 50 years of service.
- Healthgrades recognizes us as one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Prostatectomy.
- Women's Hospital celebrates the 20th anniversary of its building.
- Older Adult Transitions Services (OATS) Program celebrates 20 years of service.
- For the second year in a row, we are recognized by Healthgrades as one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Gastrointestinal Care and General Surgery.
- El Camino Hospital Los Gatos receives Joint Commission Certification in Hip and Knee Replacement and Spinal Fusion Surgery.
- Santa Clara County Emergency Medical Services awards El Camino Hospital Los Gatos Primary Stroke Center designation.
- For clinical excellence, we receive Healthgrades Distinguished Hospital Award.
- Moody's Investor Service upgrades the hospital's revenue bond rating to A1 from A2, following a review of the hospital's progress since Moody's issued its last rating in 2010. The upgrade cites our strengths such as size, favorable geographical location, strong profitability, double-digit cash flow margins, low debt load, and 95 percent seismic compliance through 2030.
- In gratitude to the Melchor family who commit several million dollars to El Camino Hospital — the largest cumulative gift to El Camino Hospital Foundation from any philanthropic source — we rename our Heart & Vascular Institute the Norma Melchor Heart & Vascular Institute of El Camino Hospital.
- El Camino Hospital Mountain View opens its Inpatient Perinatal/Postpartum Mood Treatment Program, one of only two inpatient programs in the nation designed to treat women experiencing significant mood changes or anxiety symptoms during or after pregnancy.
- El Camino Hospital Mountain View becomes the first hospital in California to earn a trio of hip and knee certifications from The Joint Commission.
- El Camino Hospital District expands the Hospital Board of Directors from six to nine members.
- Sleep Disorders Program opens in El Camino Hospital Los Gatos.
- San Jose Fire Department and El Camino Hospital locally launch the free PulsePoint app, a lifesaving bystander CPR mobile phone app.
- Senior Health Center (now known as Silicon Valley Primary Care) opens in Mountain View.
- El Camino Hospital celebrates its 50th anniversary.
- El Camino Hospital Auxiliary passes the 5 million mark in volunteer hours.
- El Camino Hospital Los Gatos opens the Orthopedic Pavilion.
- We earn designation as the first and only Gynecological Oncology Case Observation Site for Robotic Surgery in Northern California.
- Women's Hospital launches its Pelvic Health Program.
- Nationally recognized health expert, Nurse Barb, partners with El Camino Hospital to provide consumers with information on medical breakthroughs.
- We launch the Family Medical Officer (FMO) mobile phone app.
- For teenage youths, Behavioral Health Services launches ASPIRE: After-School Program Interventions and Resiliency Education.
- The Center for Advanced Radiotherapy and CyberKnife® Radiosurgery opens as a Northern California hub for tumor treatment.
- El Camino Hospital Los Gatos introduces its Men's Health Program.
- El Camino Hospital Mountain View awarded prestigious Magnet designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) for a second consecutive time.
- Community Advisory Councils for both Mountain View and Los Gatos campuses meet for the first time as ambassadors to help connect the hospital to key community constituencies.
- El Camino Hospital Los Gatos establishes a 30-bed inpatient Rehabilitation Center, one of only three in the West Valley/San Jose area.
- El Camino Hospital is the first hospital in Northern California to offer bronchial thermoplasty for treatment for individuals with severe asthma.
- The Parkinson's Institute and El Camino Hospital join the Parkinson's Progression Markers Initiative (PPMI) as official study sites.
- Doctors at El Camino Hospital launch the REACT medical trial to find early diagnosis tool for lung cancer.
- El Camino Hospital Heart & Vascular Institute announces the first patient implant in the Medtronic CoreValve® U.S. Clinical Trial. The hospital is one of the first of 40 hospitals across the U.S. to participate in the trial.
- We purchase the CyberKnife® Robotic Radiosurgery System and serve as a showcase for the technology, as well as a training center for doctors from around the world.
- On July 12, 2009, El Camino Hospital Los Gatos opens after a 90-day closure period.
- A ribbon cutting and community day celebrate the new El Camino Hospital at Mountain View on October 3, 2009. Community members tour the facilities.
- Our new state-of-the-art hospital in Mountain View opens November 15, 2009.
- Mental health services announces its new Maternal Mood Outreach Services.
- El Camino Hospital District Board designates a portion of its annual tax receipts to the Community Benefit fund.
- El Camino Hospital becomes first in the Bay Area to implant the new cardiac resynchronization therapy defibrillator.
- We open the doors of our Women's Hospital, the first in Northern California.
- El Camino Hospital acquires the real estate and certain other assets of the 143-bed Community Hospital of Los Gatos.
- El Camino Hospital is named top hospital in California for the rate of breastfeeding among new mothers.
- El Camino Hospital is rated one of "Most Wired" hospitals in country for the fifth year in a row.
- The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery awards Center of Excellence status to our Bariatric Surgery Program.
- The construction crew places the last and highest piece of steel on the new hospital building.
- El Camino Hospital surgeons conduct their first procedures using the da Vinci® Surgical System.
- Our Cancer Center opens.
- El Camino Hospital is certified by The Joint Commission as a Primary Stroke Center.
- RotaCare clinic celebrates 10 years of service to the community.
- Maternal Connections, our lactation center and mother-baby store, celebrates its 10th anniversary.
- A groundbreaking ceremony takes place on the new hospital site.
- Melchor Pavilion opens, honoring Jack and Norma Melchor, longtime El Camino Hospital friends and donors.
- We open the South Asian Heart Center.
- Concern EAP celebrates its 25th anniversary.
- A Solucient study names El Camino Hospital a Top 100 Cardiovascular Hospital, one of only two in California, and one of only 30 community hospitals in the U.S.
- The El Camino Hospital District sells $148 million in general obligation bonds.
- La Casa Apartments is demolished to make way for the construction of the Melchor Pavilion, our medical office building.
- El Camino Hospital acquires El Camino Surgery Center.
- The American Nursing Association's Credentialing Group designates El Camino Hospital as a Nursing Magnet Hospital.
- Solucient names El Camino Hospital one of the nation's top performance improvement leader hospitals.
- The Commonwealth Fund rates El Camino Hospital as a top performer, one of only four hospitals across the country.
- The 2004 Most Wired Survey and Benchmarking Study by Hospitals & Health Networks magazine names El Camino Hospital one of the nation's "Most Wired."
- After months of work by five standing committees and six special task forces, the five elected members of the El Camino Hospital board vote unanimously to proceed with the development of the new hospital building.
- El Camino Hospital receives the highest ranking for overall performance in the Patients Evaluation of Performance in California (PEP-C II) survey, the only hospital in Santa Clara County to get the top score.
- The 2003 Most Wired Survey and Benchmarking Study by Hospitals & Health Networks magazine names El Camino Hospital one of the nation's “Most Wired.”
- El Camino Hospital launches a new Weight-Loss Surgery Program.
- Measure D passes, providing funds for the rebuilding of the hospital patient tower. Among voters, 70.82 percent approved the reconstruction measure.
- El Camino Hospital notifies the State of California of its intention to rebuild its main patient tower by 2008, as specified in the new earthquake building standards.
- Brachytherapy, a treatment for prostate cancer in which radioactive seeds are implanted into the prostate gland, is made available at El Camino Hospital.
- Acquisition and installation of a Varian Clinac® linear accelerator begins. El Camino Hospital joins academic teaching facilities Stanford and UCSF in offering the latest in radiation oncology technology, including intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), electron beam treatments and stereotactic radiosurgery.
- El Camino Hospital's inpatient services receive a five-star rating from Professional Research Consultants (PRC).
- El Camino Hospital celebrates its 40th anniversary.
- After 18 months of preparation, we are Y2K ready and greet the New Year with no glitches.
- We give the first baby of 2000 shares of stock in two Silicon Valley companies.
- El Camino Hospital passes a rigorous Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations accreditation process with flying colors.
- Professional Resource Consultants (PRC), our patient satisfaction market research firm, names El Camino Hospital its No. 1 hospital in 2000 for the quality of inpatient nursing care.
1990 - 1999
- Thanks to the dedication of the district board, the hospital is returned to district control and public oversight.
- Under the leadership of the district board and Richard M. Warren, a 40-year veteran of healthcare administration, the hospital begins its long road to recovery.
- Long delayed improvements are made inside and outside the hospital.
- Policies are enacted which reinstate employee benefits rolled back during the integrated delivery system years.
- Letters from patients express gratitude that the "old" El Camino Hospital is back.
- Employees are proud to be working at El Camino Hospital.
- El Camino Hospital is named one of the Top 100 Cardiac Hospitals in the U.S. by The Healthcare Industry Association, reflecting our performance in cardiac catheterization procedures.
- In 1999, El Camino Hospital is named one of the 1999 Top 100 Orthopedic Hospitals in the nation by The Healthcare Industry Association.
- After a year of turmoil and negative press, the board of El Camino Healthcare agrees to resign. A settlement is reached with the district, El Camino Healthcare, and El Camino Medical Group. The district board regains control and in December appoints three new members to the hospital board.
- The district board grows increasingly concerned with El Camino Healthcare finances and operations. Conflict of interest issues arise, doctors and the public grow critical of patient care.
- The district board files a complaint against El Camino Healthcare in Superior Court alleging El Camino's de-districting contracts are void under California government code. California’s Attorney General initiates an investigation.
- El Camino Hospital, Sunnyvale Medical Clinic and Shoreline Medical Group merge to form an integrated delivery system called El Camino Healthcare.
- Our Cardiac & Pulmonary Wellness Center is opened.
- A Maternal and Child Health Center opens in the new Orchard Pavilion building.
- Succumbing to market pressures, the El Camino Hospital District Board votes to de-district and restructure the El Camino Hospital system as a private nonprofit integrated delivery system, which includes the hospital and affiliated clinics.
1980 - 1989
- The El Camino Hospital Foundation is established to raise charitable contributions in support of the hospital.
- Our operating room opens. The San Jose Mercury News calls it "one of the largest and most technologically advanced surgical sites in the area."
- A CAT scanner is installed at El Camino Hospital.
- Our first breast screening center is established.
- We organize the Better Breather's Club for patients with breathing difficulties.
- Our first Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Center opens.
- Pathways Home Health, Hospice & Private Duty is created with Sequoia Hospital.
- The Older Adult Resource Center opens (now known as the Health Library & Resource Center).
1970 - 1979
- In partnership with Lockheed, the world's first computer-aided medical information system is installed at El Camino Hospital.
- We begin offering open heart surgery, with Stanford surgeon Norman Shumway as part of the initial team.
- Our psychiatric unit is expanded.
- We construct emergency, radiology and intensive care facilities.
- The family birthing center opens.
- Surgery and recovery rooms are added to the hospital.
- An ambulatory surgery center is established.
1960 - 1969
- Fifth and sixth floors are added to the main building.
- El Camino Hospital establishes the Artificial Kidney Center.
- We open and admit our first patients on September 1, 1961.
1957 - 1960
- The Hospital Auxiliary is formed.
- Voters overwhelmingly approve a $7.3 million bond issue to finance the building and operation of the 300-bed hospital.