Occupational therapy uses purposeful activities to maximize independence in order to safely participate in activities of daily living (ADLs) at home, at work, and in the community.
Depending on your needs, these activities may include:
- Self-care activities, such as dressing and eating;
- Home skills, such as housekeeping, gardening or cooking;
- Personal management skills, such as balancing a checkbook, managing your medications, or keeping a schedule;
- Leisure activities.
Occupational therapy treatment includes experience with functional tasks to improve coordination, balance, strength, range of motion and cognitive skills. Adaptations for disability are also addressed through compensation training and adaptive equipment training.
We provide instruction in protecting your joints and conserving your energy, and we offer guidance and recommendations for caregivers and family members.
We also can make clinic-based pre-driving assessments. We will conduct a comprehensive evaluation to assess your strength, range of motion, coordination, vision, judgement and other skills that are essential to safe driving.
Our Occupational Therapy Services
- Individualized home exercises
- Myofascial release: hands-on soft tissue techniques designed to help regain motion and diminish pain
- Modalities of deep heating using paraffin or moist heat packs, ice, electric stimulation, to facilitate joint and soft tissue mobility and pain relief.
Hand Therapy (Los Gatos only)
- Arthritis treatment, education and prevention of further injury
- Custom splinting and casting to achieve gains in hand and upper extremity motion
- Edema reduction/wound care
- Ergonomic training/tendon and nerve protection techniques
- Joint mobilization techniques
- Mobilization of the nervous system and tendons: gentle hands-on techniques to promote recovery from injury to nerves and tendons of the hand and upper extremity
- Post-surgical rehabilitation of hand injuries, addressing range of motion, strength, pain relief, edema control, and optimal function