The El Camino Hospital/Stanford Prenatal Diagnostic Center offers a wide range of prenatal diagnostic procedures, including:
- Genetic counseling
- Doppler blood flow studies
- Biophysical profile
In addition, we also offer consultations for high-risk pregnancies, from precon-ception through delivery. A highly trained, specialized staff consisting of Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialists (perinatologists), genetic counselors, and sonographers provides care with a personalized touch for women and their families. We emphasize open communication between a woman and her physician in an effort to meet both her medical and emotional needs.
A woman may be referred to the following services:
Genetic counseling is offered for:
- Advanced maternal age
- Positive prenatal screening
- Family history of genetic or chromosomal condition, birth defect
- Teratogen exposure, including chemotherapy, toxins, infections, alcohol, drugs, or other medications
- Multiple fetal losses (miscarriages)
- Consanguinity (marriage of relatives)
- Ultrasound-diagnosed anomaly
- Fetal death
Amniocentesis is a procedure that is usually done between 16 and 18 weeks of pregnancy, and can detect chromosomal and genetic conditions in the fetus.
Ultrasound imaging has many uses and can be done as early as the fifth week of pregnancy. The test can detect some structural abnormalities of the fetus and alteration in growth profiles.
Doppler blood flow is a noninvasive technique to evaluate umbilical blood flow. This procedure can also detect inadequate placental function or abnormal changes in blood flow.
Further specialized tests and procedures, such as fetal echocardiogram, percutaneous umbilical cord sampling (PUBS), intrauterine transfusions, and others, can be arranged, when necessary, at our Perinatal Diagnostic Center at Stanford.
The results of any prenatal testing are communicated without delay to you and your referring physician. When necessary, additional counseling or evaluation can be scheduled.
To schedule an appointment at the El Camino Hospital/Stanford Prenatal Diagnostic Center, call 650-988-7930.
When you come for an appointment
- Please stop at patient registration before each appointment. Patient registration is located in the lobby on the street level of the Women’s Hospital, facing the gift shop.
- Videotaping is not allowed. We will provide pictures for you.
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult who is not the patient. Children should not be left unattended in the waiting room.
- Please check with your obstetrician’s office if you have questions about insurance coverage of your prenatal diagnostic appointment.
- Patients and visitors are asked to refrain from using cell phones during the visit.
- If late, this may result in your appointment being rescheduled.
The Center is located at:
El Camino Hospital Mountain View
Women’s Hospital (Orchard Pavilion)
2485 Hospital Drive
Mountain View, CA 94040
Maps & Directions