We Care About Caregivers
While caring for an ailing friend or relative is meaningful and rewarding, it can also be hard on the caregiver. That's why El Camino Hospital and the Palo Alto Medical Foundation
created Meet & Move™
, a "walk and talk" program designed to give caregivers a healthy break.
Are You a Family Caregiver?
Some people don't think of themselves as caregivers because they are not getting paid, or feel they are fulfilling a family responsibility. You are, in fact, a caregiver if you:
- Assist with dressing, bathing, toileting, feeding
- Provide transportation and assist in a health or other crisis
- Help with daily activities, shopping and housework
- Help with bookkeeping, finances and bill paying
- Assist with medical and nursing care at home and communicate with the person's physicians
Special Health Concerns for Caregivers
While most caregivers feel appreciated and needed, the work they do can impact their health and well-being. A recent survey by AARP of 500 adult caregivers found the following statistics:
- 42% experience "quite a bit" or a "great deal" of fatigue
- 26% complained of physical strain
- 20% frequently felt guilty or emotionally upset
- 20% said caregiving had a negative effect on their social lives
Physical activity and socializing with others can really help with these issues and walking is a great choice because it is proven to reduce the risk of disease, and enhance overall physical and emotional health.
The Meet & Move Program
El Camino Hospital and the Palo Alto Medical Foundation have come together to create Meet & Move
a “walk and talk” program designed specifically for family caregivers in Mountain View, Los Altos, Sunnyvale, Cupertino and surrounding communities.
The idea is to give you an opportunity to enjoy a little downtime, improve your fitness level, and create opportunities to connect with others who understand your situation. Walking is just one free, easy way to get some exercise and understanding, but we hope that over time, Meet & Move participants will come together to enjoy physical and social activities or to engage in other healthy hobbies.
- Join for free and schedule walks at your convenience
- Meet walking buddies who can relate to the challenges and rewards of caregiving
- Set realistic fitness goals and monitor your progress
- Improve your health and wellness, increase your energy and feel better physically and emotionally
- Receive free Fitbit to help track your progress!