Locations: Los Gatos and Mountain View
This volunteer has significant interaction with patients and visitors in the Maternity and the Labor and Delivery Departments, helping them feel more comfortable while at the hospital by being warm, respectful and attuned to their feelings. The volunteer assists the nursing staff in a variety of ways and provides some non-medical assistance to patients.
- Mature, caring, dependable and people-oriented, with excellent communication skills.
- Must be able to stand/walk for three to four hours.
- Must be able to prioritize tasks, work unsupervised, multi-task and relate tactfully to patients, their family or friends, and the medical staff.
Maternity Assistant (LG): You would provide clerical support to the staff, stock rooms for patients and staff, answer phones and direct calls, and provide wheelchair assistance for mothers and babies being discharged. You may also assemble "new-baby bags."
Maternity Greeter (MV): You would serve as a receptionist for the Maternity and the Labor and Delivery Departments as families come in and escorting them to the appropriate areas. You would also answer telephones and direct calls.
Maternity Nursing Station or Nursing Unit (MV): You would provide clerical support and assistance to the staff, and you would help with patient dismissals, including wheelchair transport for mothers and babies being discharged from the unit. In addition, you would provide wheelchair transport for mothers visiting their babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
- At the Nursing Station you would also answer phones and direct calls.
- In the Nursing Unit your duties also include maintaining the patient refrigerator and unrefrigerated snack supplies, assisting new mothers with their menu choices, and baking cookies for patients and staff.
Lactation Services Reception (MV) or Nursery Reception (MV): Your main responsibility is to greet visitors arriving at the unit, directing them to the appropriate location. You also would answer phones, assist the staff with clerical tasks and restocking supplies, and help maintain cleanliness.