Norma Melchor was a powerful force behind El Camino Hospital from the very beginning. A former surgical nurse, she joined the fledgling El Camino Hospital Auxiliary in 1957 and organized tours of the new hospital when its doors first opened in 1961. She quickly became a leader of the organization, serving as chair of training in 1961, vice president and chair of services in 1962 and president in 1963. Norma also co-chaired the Citizens Committee for the El Camino Hospital District, promoting the second bond issue to build the sixth-floor tower. In 1974 she was elected to the El Camino Hospital District Board of Directors for the first of four terms, serving as president for one.
When El Camino Hospital Foundation launched its Imagine Campaign in 2005, Norma graciously agreed to serve as chair, once more demonstrating her deep commitment to El Camino Hospital.
Over the years, she and husband Jack repeatedly demonstrated exceptional generosity to the hospital, making leadership gifts to establish the El Camino Hospital Foundation, the campaign to build the Orchard Pavilion, the 25th Anniversary Advancement Campaign, and the Imagine Campaign. The Melchors also donated the land on which the Melchor Pavilion is built.
Norma’s half century of outstanding leadership and unflagging generosity made her a true hero of El Camino Hospital. Her legacy lives on through the work of El Camino Hospital Foundation.
*of blessed memory